The Influence of Free Cash Flow and Debt To Equity Ratio to Earnings Management

Alex Nurdiana

Abstract


The separation functions between management and stockholders can create the opportunities to  do earnings management. This study aimed to analyze the influence of free cash flow and debt to equity ratio to earnings management.  This type of research is a causal research, which aims to test the hypothesis about the effect of an independent variable on the dependent variable.  The research method is quantitative research.  Samples are 83 companies listed in the Indonesia Stock Exchange (BEI) 2011-2013. The sampling method is purposive random sampling.  The results of this study stated that free cash flow has negative effect on earnings management. Debt to equity ratio has no effect to earnings management. Leverage has positive effect on earnings management. Age of Companies has no effect on earnings management. Gross margin has no effect on earnings management. The coefficient of determination obtained from the results of this study indicate that the independent variables can explain the dependent variable of 10.2%, while the remaining 89.8% is influenced by other variables not examined in this study.

Keywords


Earning Management; Free Cash Flow; Debt to Equity Ratio; Leverage; Age; Gross Margin

Full Text:

PDF

References


Al-Dhamari, Redhwan Ahmed, dan Ku Nor Izah Bt Ku Ismail 2013. Surplus Free Cash Flow and The Effect of Corporate Governance on The Informativeness of Earnings. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/279536836

Asward, Ismalia, dan Lina 2015. Pengaruh Mekanisme Corporate Governance terhadap Manajemen Laba dengan Pendekatan Conditional Revenue Model. http://digilib.mercubuana.ac.id

Brigham, F, Eugene, dan Houston, F, Joel. (2001). Manajemen Keuangan. Jakarta: Erlangga.

Hartono, Jogiyanto., (2003), Teori Portofollio dan Analisis Investasi, Edisi kelima. Yogyakarta: BPEE

Herman Ruslim, 2009. Pengujian Struktur Modal (Teori Pecking Order): Analisis Empiris Terhadap Saham di LQ-45. Jurnal Bisnis dan Akuntansi Vol.11 no.3, Desember 2009 Hal 209-221.

Jensen, Michael C., and Meckling, William H., 1976. “Theory of the Firm: Managerial Behavior, Agency Costs and Ownership Structure”. www.ssrn.com id 94043.

Jensen, Michael C. “Agency Cost of Free Cash Flow, Corporate Finance, and Takeover”. www.ssrn.com.

Nekhili, Mehdi, et all, 2015. Free cash flow and earnings management: The moderating role of governance and ownership. www.ssrn.com id 2546877.

Nieken Herma Sari, dan Nurmala Ahmar, 2014. Revenue Discretionary Model Pengukuran Management Laba: Berdasarkan Sektor Industri Manufaktur di Bursa Efek Indonesia. Jurnal Akuntansi dan Keuangan, Vol.16 No.1, Mei 2014, 43-51.

Ni Nyoman Ayu Suryandari. “Analisis Faktor-faktor yang mempengaruhi income smoothing”. Media Komunikasi FIS, Vol 11, No.1, April 2012:1-5.

Ross, Stephen A, et all, 2009. Corporate Finance Fundamental. 8th edition. Salemba Empat, Jakarta.

Saidi. 2004. Faktor-faktor yang Mempengaruhi Struktur Modal pada Perusahaan Manufaktur Go Public di BEJ Tahun 1997-2002. Jurnal Bisnis dan Ekonomi. Vol.11,No.1,Maret 2004.

Scott, William R, 2015. Financial Accounting Theory. 7th edition. Pearson Canada Inc.

Stubben, Stephen R., 2010. Discretionary Revenues as a Measure of Earnings Management. The Accounting Review Vol.85, No.2, American Accounting Association DOI: 10.2308/acc2010.85.2.695.

Suad, Husnan, 2000. Manajemen Keuangan Teori dan Penerapan, Edisi ketiga. Yogyakarta

Veliandina Chivan Naftalia dan Marsono. “Pengaruh Leverage Terhadap Majemen Laba dengan Corporate Governance Sebagai Variabel Pemoderasi”. ISSN: 2337-3806, Volume 2 No.3, 2013:1-8.




DOI: https://doi.org/10.31334/neraca.v2i2.1490

Refbacks

  • There are currently no refbacks.


Copyright (c) 2021 Neraca : Jurnal Akuntansi Terapan

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

_____________________________________________

Neraca : Jurnal Akuntansi Terapan

ISSN Media online 2715-1212

Email : [email protected]

Email : [email protected]

Website: http://ojs.stiami.ac.id/index.php/JATIBARU/index

 

LISTED & INDEXED :