Analysis of the Theory of Planned Behavior on Intention to Buy Halal Food Products

Anita Maulina, Hartono Hartono, Maya Sofiana


Consciousness in consuming halal food or products is still ignored by Muslims in Indonesia, which is a country with the largest Muslim population in the world, even though it is a must. Even halal food is defined as food that is healthy, clean and hygienic. This study aims to analyze the behavior of consuming halal food using Theory of Planned Behavior (TPB) and to identify how the purchase intention of Muslims in Indonesia, especially in Jakarta, in buying snacks labeled halal. Using probability sampling techniques, out of 200 questionnaires distributed among students in Jakarta, only 152 were returned and only 137 qualified for further analysis. The quantitative method was chosen for this study with the help of the IBM SPSS version 25 application. After going through the process and variables of Religiosity, Subjective Norm and Perceived Behavioral Control simultaneously affected the Intention to Buy Halal Food variable by 42.6% while the remaining 57.4% was affected. by other variables not examined in this study. To the next researcher, they should choose a wider research sample so that the research results can be more generalized. Can add other variables that are not examined in this study for further research.More insight into the Theory of Planned Behavior (TPB) on Intention to Buy Halal Food by using other variables and research objects.


Theory Planned Behavior, Religiosity, Subjective Norm, Halal Food, Perceived Behavioral Control.

Full Text:



Abdul Kadir, MA (2011), “Malay adolescents are not sensitive to halal status”, Community Council.

Ab Talib, MS, & Ai Chin, T. (2018). Halal food standard implementation: are Malaysian firms proactive or reactive? British Food Journal, 120(6), 1330–1343.

Ahmed, W., Najmi, A., Faizan, HM, & Ahmed, S. (2019). Consumer behavior towards willingness to pay for Halal products: An assessment of demand for Halal certification in a Muslim country. British Food Journal, 121(2), 492–504.

Ambali, AR, & Bakar, AN (2014). People's Awareness on Halal Foods and Products: Potential Issues for Policy-makers. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 121(September 2012), 3–25.

Cloud. (2015). Management Research Review For Authors. Management Research Review, 38(2).

Ayyub, RM (2015). Exploring perceptions of non-Muslims towards Halal foods in UK.British Food Journal, 117(9), 2328–2343.

Dinar Standard, TR and. (2018).State of the Global Islamic Economy Report 2018/19.Dubai International Financial Center, 112.

Elseidi, RI (2016). Article information: Determinants of halal purchasing intentions: evidences from UK. Journal of Islamic Marketing.

Fischer, J. (2012). Halal branding.Anthropology Today, 28(4), 18–21.

Kusnandar, VB (2019). Indonesia, the Country with the Largest Muslim Population in the World. Https://Databoks.Katadata.Co.Id/Datapublish/2019/09/25/Indonesia-Negara-Dengan-Penduduk-Muslim-Terbesar-Dunia, 1.

Malhotra, NK, Kunan, D., & Birks, DF ( 2017). Marketing research an Applied Approach Fifth Edition. In The Marketing Book: Seventh Edition.

Martin, CRA (1971). British Food Journal.British Food Journal, 73(3), 65–96.

Sherwani, M., Ali, A., Ali, A., Hussain, S., &Zadran, HG (2018). Determinants of Muslim consumers' Halal meat consumption: applying and extending the theory of planned behavior. Journal of Food Products Marketing, 24(8), 960–981.

Soong, SFV (2007). Managing halal quality in the food service industry.Master of Hospitality Administration William, 1–40.



  • There are currently no refbacks.

Copyright (c) 2021 Majalah Ilmiah Bijak

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

View My Stats



ISSN 1411-0830 (Media Cetak) 2621-749X (Media Online)
Email :  [email protected] / [email protected]